Hoarseness is a voice disorder in which the person’s voice changes abnormally. A hoarse voice may sound rough, strained and breathy and there may even be changes in the pitch and volume of the voice. Sound is produced when the vocal folds vibrate while air leaves the lungs. Hoarseness may occur when there is a malformation in the vocal folds or the vocal cord – the main organs responsible for one’s voice. Swelling or lumps on the vocal folds prevent them from coming together properly while speaking or singing (vocal folds stay apart while a person is breathing), which makes a change in the voice, resulting in hoarseness – a common form of voice disorder.
Hoarseness treatment in Kolkata varies from person to person, depending on the cause and symptoms of hoarseness that the concerned person is suffering from. Some common symptoms of hoarseness are as follows:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Neck swelling
- General weakness
- Frequent coughing
- Feels hot to touch
- Abnormal pain in throat
- Weight loss
- Hoarseness lasts for more than 2-3 weeks
- Pain in the throat which is not due to cold or flu
- Blood comes up while coughing
- Swallowing difficulties
- Swelling or lump sensation in the throat
- Complete loss or severe change in voice that lasts for many days
If you have these symptoms, immediately consult a certified Speech Language Pathologist at a good clinic dealing with hoarseness treatment in Kolkata. Delaying a voice disorder treatment may grow worse, and may have adverse effects on your health.
There are certain factors that cause various types of voice disorders. The causes of hoarseness are many, depending on the situation faced by the patient. Some common causes of hoarseness as confirmed by trained Speech Language Pathologists at good centres for hoarseness treatment in Kolkata are as follows:
- Strep throat – a bacterial infection which causes inflammation and pain in the throat.
- Epiglottitis – in which there is an inflammation or swelling in the epiglottis (a cartilage at the base of the tongue).
- Goiter – when the size of the thyroid gland in the neck increases abnormally. You should visit a recognised clinic dealing with hoarseness treatment in Kolkata in such a case.
- Laryngeal cancer – a type of throat cancer that affects the larynx.
- Acid reflux and GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) – it happens when the stomach contents move backwards into the esophagus or food pipe.
- Thyroid problems
- Thyroid cancer
- Trauma to the larynx or vocal cords
- Neurological conditions like Parkinson’s disease and stroke
- Food allergy – occurs when the immune system reacts abnormally to foods or liquids that are generally not harmful. In such a case, visit a recognised centre for hoarseness treatment in Kolkata, who will prescribe you a good diet chart for you after studying your medical histories and/or other health issues.
- Sjogren’s syndrome – an autoimmune disorder which occurs when our immune system attacks our healthy tissues mistakenly as it thinks that they are harmful foreign particles. Sjogren’s syndrome primarily affects the salivary and lacrimal glands.
- Smoking – all Speech Language Pathologists at centres dealing with hoarseness treatment in Kolkata strictly advise against smoking, as it causes lung cancer, which is also one of the major factors causing hoarseness.
- Inhalation of respiratory tract irritants
- Esophageal cancer – it happens when there is a malignant tumor in the lining of the esophagus, which may cause further damages in the deep tissues and the muscle of the esophagus, commonly known as food pipe.
- ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease – Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig’s Disease (named after a famous baseball player of the same name was diagnosed with the disease in 1939) is a degenerative disease that affects the brain and the spinal cord. It causes hoarseness because in this disease the affected person’s nerves that control speech and swallowing are affected. Do not delay in getting yourself treated from a good organisation that deals with hoarseness treatment in Kolkata.
In conclusion, it can be said that no person should neglect hoarseness disorders as it can gradually lead to irreversible consequences if left untreated. You should never delay in getting a good treatment by visiting your nearest centre dealing with hoarseness treatment in Kolkata as soon as possible.