In the previous blog: The Singer’s Diet – What NOT to Eat , we have seen which diets are the enemies of your voice! In this one, let us take a look at its friends – that is, what diets will really be helpful for your voice!
What to Eat!
Here’s what you can enjoy in the hours before your show –
- Fresh Fruit – Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs) at any recognised voice disorder treatment clinic in Kolkata always suggest taking fresh fruits rather than consuming their juiced versions. It is because whole fruits have more nutritional value than their juices, as juices generally tend to contain sugar which will wear you out soon!
- Chicken & Fish – These food items are rich in protein – they are a lean source of protein. Protein is very essential for singers – it will keep you going for hours!
- Vitamin A – Vitamin A keeps your mucous membranes healthy. So it is always recommended by Speech Language Pathologists at any well-known voice disorder treatment clinic in Kolkata to have Vitamin A rich foods – which include carrots, sweet potatoes, apricots, spinach, kale, eggs and meat.
- Nuts – Nuts have proved to be great snacks for singers before a show. If possible, opt for the unsalted or the lightly salted ones – because salt tends to dry up your throat! So it is advised to wash the salt down with room temperature water.
- Room temperature water – Staying hydrated is the key for all singers to prevent the vocal cords from being dried up. Now why room temperature? Just as you cannot drink water that is too hot, you should also not have cold water as it might constrict your vocal cords!
- Honey – A small spoonful of honey can be soothing for your throat, and you can feel easy and comfortable at your shows – as it has antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities.
- Peanut Butter – Natural peanut butter is full of proteins that will keep you going throughout your show!
Never Starve Before a Show!
With that being said, never even make the mistake of STARVING before a show! As opined by certified SLPs at any voice disorder treatment clinic in Kolkata, going at a show with an empty stomach will drain off all your energy and you might feel fatigued too soon in your show – thus ruining a wonderful show from happening!
Never Eat Too Much!
With that being said, just as you should never starve yourself, you should also not eat too much! You must have a control over how much you eat! Never ever stuff yourself before a show – it will make you feel bloated and nauseous! Have a well-balanced meal before a show. Also, according to certified SLPs at any recognised voice disorder treatment clinic in Kolkata, never eat just before entering the stage! Give yourself a minimum of half an hour gap between the meal and the show!
So following these simple and balanced diet to boost your energy level, and keep going throughout your show! Happy singing!